Skip to content
left end
left end
right end
Try not to worry about moving to the adult hospital. Everyone is welcoming


Work & Travel


It is important that you know where to get the right career advice & information about appropriate jobs. Jobs that require rigorous fitness tests such as the armed forces or police may not be an option. However, that does not mean the right job isn't out there for you.

For those of you who are under 19 years the National Careers Service is a useful source of information for further education courses and career choices. You can find out more here or by calling 0800 100900. 

Disability Employment Advisors are based in every job centre and can help you find suitable employment or help in practical ways to enable you to work. These employment specialists can also advise you about work related benefits, visit here for further information. If you require a medical letter relating to your condition, please contact your Nurse Specialist, or ask your Cardiologist when you next attend the clinic. You can find support and information here about working with a cardiac condition.


To get the most from any holiday or travelling you should plan ahead and consider whether your chosen destination is going to present any challenges to your heart condition. Having a congenital heart condition doesn't mean you can't travel but it may require a bit of advance planning. It is a good idea to talk to your specialist nurse or cardiologist about your travel plans.It is helpful to take a copy of your clinic letter with you, or a photograph of it on your phone. A copy of your ECG can also be helpful in case you are unwell while you are away. 

It is important to have travel insurance if you travel abroad so make sure you get this before you book. Allow plenty of time as it might take longer than usual if your insurer asks for further information about your heart condition. You can read more about this here.

For longer trips your doctor can give you up to three months' worth of medicine. It can be helpful to carry a letter from your doctor with you describing the medicines you need to take. Check the rules of the country you are travelling too. Some countries have very strict rules about the types of drugs you can travel with.

The European Health Insurance Card covers necessary healthcare when you visit a European Union country plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. To obtain one call 0845 606 2030 (you will need your NHS number or National Insurance Number). More information can also be found here.