Skip to content
left end
left end
right end
Transition was good. Everyone was friendly, helpful and caring



You may need to be seen by a physiotherapist if the burns are causing difficulty with movement or function.  There are physiotherapists in both the children's and adult services that are available to see you both in hospital during an admission and in outpatient clinics. 

Physiotherapy interventions may include a combination of movements of joints, exercises and stretches in combination with functional activities that are relevant to you.  Your hobbies, interests and occupations will be considered when looking at suitable activities.  The goal of this is to achieve and maintain full range of movement as quickly as possible. The physiotherapists in both the adult and children's services work in a very similar way, providing the same treatments.

Recent research has shown a cardiovascular exercise programme alongside a traditional range of movement programme improves long term outcomes in burn injury patients. Your physiotherapist may also prescribe you some activities that involve more vigorous, aerobic exercise.

If you are currently receiving physiotherapy from the burns therapist at the children's hospital, or the therapist sees you annually for review, they will ensure that they communicate with the burns physiotherapists in adult services to inform them of your impending arrival to ensure that you are reviewed and that treatment continues.

At the children's hospital you are given a lot of support in carrying out exercises and parents/carers are given responsibility for ensuring these are carried out.  When you move into adult services the responsibility of carrying out your exercise programme is more likely to fall on you to ensure it is completed. 

You may be referred to a local outpatient physiotherapy service if you are not local to Bristol to help support you with your physiotherapy programme.