Homeopathic medicine has been available in Bristol since 1852,
when Dr Black first started dispensing from premises in the
During the next 69 years the service developed and expanded
culminating in the commissioning in 1921 of a new hospital in the
grounds of Cotham House. The Bristol Homeopathic Hospital continued
to provide a full range of services until 1986 when the in-patient
facilities were transferred to the Bristol Eye Hospital, where they
continue to be provided, and outpatient services were moved to the
ground floor of the Cotham Hill site.
In 1994, following the sale of the main building to the
University by the Bristol and District Health Authority, a new
purpose built Department was provided in the Annexe buildings
of the main building, adjoining the original Cotham House.
On 7 January, the Bristol Homeopathic Hospital moved to
South Bristol Community Hospital (SBCH), a state-of-the-art
facility with a calm and peaceful environment, less than five miles
from its previous location. To contact the Bristol Homeopathic
Hospital at SBCH please ring 0117 342 9661.
Find out about research at UH