Skip to content
left end
left end
right end

Access health records

As a patient you are able to access your medical records held by University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. To access your medical records you should make a request to the Medical Records Department for the hospitals you were a patient at (see telephone numbers below). The medical records department will then send you a letter and a form to complete and return. For more information about your rights generally please see the Trust's Privacy Notice.

Once your form and identifying information arrive at Medical Records, they will begin the process, which may take a number of weeks. We always aim to disclose your records to you within 1 month from receiving your validated application although this may be extended in complex cases - in which case we will inform you of any new time scale.

As required by the Data Protection Act 2018, the Medical Records Department will send your request to the appropriate consultant for their confirmation that it is safe to disclose the records. The consultant may recommend the best way for you to see your notes. This might be done by making an appointment with the consultant, viewing your medical records in the Medical Records Department or by copies being sent to you directly. Where your request is by email we will send you an electronic copy of the records where this is possible, either by an attachment to an email or by sending you a CD/DVD. The final decision on how you receive the information is up to you.

You can also find information about your right of access and other rights relating to your data at the Information Commissioner's website.


Contact details

Bristol Royal Infirmary and Bristol Heart Institute: 0117 342 1788

Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre:

Bristol Royal Hospital for Children: 0117 342 7971

St Michael's Hospital: 0117 342 1831

Bristol Eye Hospital: 0117 342 9050

University of Bristol Dental Hospital:0117 342 9520

South Bristol Community Hospital: 0117 342 9675 (Urgent Care Centre only)